Monday, June 9, 2014

Cousin-brothers

So, my Aunt is my Mom's sister and she and her husband took me in when I was a sophomore in high school. I lived with them during school breaks my first few years of college as well. And, even before I lived with them, I spent a good portion of my non-school, non-work, non-sleep hours at their house. They are the ones who walked me down the aisle when my husband and I renewed our vows. They are the ones to whom we "come home."

I know it is a very South Asian thing to do and I certainly encountered it a lot when working at the Immigrant Visa section in Islamabad, but the term "cousin-brothers" does seem very fitting for the relationship I have with my Aunt and Uncle's two sons. Sometimes it just fits. And, just to be clear, my cousins are not actually both my cousins and my brothers.

No comments: