Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Captain Underpants, what the heck?

I was just reading about Captain Underpants topping the "list of most frequently challenged books." What the heck?!

I credit Captain Underpants with getting my oldest child interested in reading. He started reading Captain Underpants in first grade. He loved Captain Underpants, as well as The Magic Tree House series, and then he moved on. Second grade was the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series. Third grade was the How to Train Your Dragon series. Fourth grade was the Percy Jackson series. Fifth grade he started to read the Hitchhiker's Guide series.

He does not want or like to read, unless it is something that captures his attention. And, each year he has found something to capture his attention. And, his reading skills are top notch.  He is thoughtful, empathetic, committed to his causes and, yes, sometimes stubborn. But, that doesn't come from Captain Underpants. Our youngest is now reading Captain Underpants. I will say that he and his brother do like to play chess on a lazy Saturday wearing only underwear. Perhaps, there is a connection on that front. I could think of worse things.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wonder how many parents don't allow their kids to read Captain Underpants but do allow them to watch Sponge Bob.

The Stone Rabbit said...

I hate Sponge Bob. But, I will even let the boys watch Sponge Bob, as long as the volume is off and the closed captioning is on.