Friday, January 8, 2010

The Best Roast Chicken EVER!!!

I decided to do a Shabbat dinner for the family tonight. I wanted a new recipe for roast chicken and thought I would try this one I found on Epicurious.com. I changed it just a little and it was delicious!!!!! I don't usually randomly share recipes, but thought this was too good not to share.

One 3.5 pound kosher chicken (Note: Kosher chickens are already brined and of good quality, if you don't use kosher, use a farm raised chicken and then brine it yourself).

1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper (mixed together in a bowl for seasoning the outside of the chicken). Adjust these to your preferences.

Preheat the oven to 450°F. Rinse the chicken, then dry it very well with paper towels, inside and out. The less it steams, the drier the heat, the better.

Truss the bird. NOTE: I found a video example online (through the Food Network). I had to play the video a few times to get it right, but with the way the chicken turned out I think it was definitely worth the effort.

Sprinkle and rub in salt/fresh ground pepper mixture on the outside all over.

Place the chicken in a roasting pan (NOTE: make sure the pan is not too big, otherwise juices will spread out and smoke) and, when the oven is up to temperature, put the chicken in the oven. I leave it alone--don't baste it, don't add butter. Roast it until it's done, 70 minutes. Let it rest for 15 minutes on a cutting board, then carve.

No comments: