Saturday, August 20, 2011

Now That's Funny

Warning, this post might be considered more PG-13 as opposed to my normally G and PG rated postings. . .

I just watched the clip of Anderson Cooper laughing at the sophomoric puns he was making in regards to the recent "peeing on the plane" incident perpetrated by Gerard Depardieu. Yes, even at 41, I find this kind of thing funny. I don't know why, but I do. And, so, it got me thinking about funny things we've encountered overseas that I thought I would share with you today.

In Pakistan, the surname of "Butt" is quite common. Yes, we've known many fine, nice, upstanding "Butts;" they are good people. But, from an American reference point how can you not sometimes laugh when coming upon the name in certain contexts. . .There was the bakery called, "Butt Brothers' Bakery" and the clothing store called, "Butt's Honey House." And, of course, lest we not forget the time S had a meeting with an Army Major and had to use every ounce of composure he could muster to announce he was there to see, you guessed it, Major Butt.

When learning Portuguese at FSI, S and I shared a class with two other people. Our poor teachers, I don't know how many times three of the four of us just burst out laughing. The one that sticks-out in my mind the most, however, is when our Portuguese teacher was attempting to explain about these big ceramic white and blue Roosters that are apparently quite the item to buy in Portugal. And, she just kept talking about "the big blue cock" that you just must buy. OMG, heaven help us, to not break out in laughter over that one.

In East Timor, you often came across attempts at English that just didn't translate such as the  restaurant called, "Cock and Bull." I think they were trying to say their restaurant specializes in chicken and beef, but it just didn't come out that way.

Ok, so we still find this stuff funny. I'm not sure what that says about us, but hey that's just how we roll. Got any funny stories to share, leave a comment with your story, we'd love to read it!

1 comment:

The Stone Rabbit said...

A friend stationed with us in Pakistan had a great one to share, "Butt Sports."